Suspect dead after opening fire near White House security checkpoint, Secret Service says
WASHINGTON (AP) — A person who opened fire Saturday on a White House security checkpoint is dead after being shot by officers who returned fire, the U.S. Secret Service said. It was the third incidence of gunfire in the vicinity of President Donald Trump in the past month.
The law enforcement agency said in a preliminary statement posted on X that the person in the area of 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue “pulled a weapon from his bag” shortly after 6 p.m. ET and began firing. The officers returned fire, hitting the suspect, who was taken to a hospital where he later died, the Secret Service said.
The suspect was identified as 21-year-old Nasire Best, said a law enforcement official who spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the investigation.
It was the third time in the past month that gunfire has broken out near the president following incidents at the White House Correspondents’ Association Dinner in April and near the Washington Monument earlier in May.

