Plea expected soon for man accused in Amber Alert

By Tyler Marr
October 9, 2018 - 12:15pm

The lawyer for the man accused in the recent Amber Alert anticipates his client will enter a plea one way or another at his next appearance.

Johnathan Ryann Gunville, 19, of North Battleford, appeared in North Battleford Provincial Court this morning via CCTV from Saskatoon, where he remains in custody.

He faces a number of charges including abduction, unlawful confinement and abandonment of a child relating to the Sept. 16 Amber Alert, alongside charges for two vehicle thefts on Sept. 19 and 20.

Outside court, defence lawyer Bill Archer said he anticipates his client will enter a plea at his next court date on Oct. 19 to move the case along given its scope. He said security camera footage related to the case was obtained late Friday, and time is needed to comb through its contents.

The mother of the accused, Tammy Lavallee, attended court Tuesday and wiped away tears during and after the brief appearance. The mother of the child involved in the Amber Alert also attended with family support.

Archer previously said his client's cognitive challenges will be a reference point in his defence, saying Johnathan “is not an evil monster,” noting he is a “troubled kid” with intellectual challenges.

The Amber Alert was triggered when an SUV parked outside a strip mall in North Battleford was stolen with a six-year-old girl in the backseat. The vehicle, with the girl still inside, was located in a field the next morning.

 

[email protected]

On Twitter: @JournoMarr

Moisture putting a damper on harvest

Join the Discussion

We are happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules: Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, share your knowledge, and please suggest removal of comments that violate these standards. See full commenting rules.