Click here to sign up for our free daily newsletter

Lockdown lifted at Saskatchewan prison which saw riot earlier this month

Dec 28, 2016 | 7:30 PM

PRINCE ALBERT, Sask. — Things are slowly returning to normal at the Saskatchewan Penitentiary after a riot earlier this month left one inmate dead and eight more injured.

Correctional Service Canada spokesman Jeff Campbell says a prison-wide lockdown at the facility near Prince Albert has been lifted and visitors are being allowed back.

He says the prison’s minimum-security unit resumed its normal operations late in the evening of Dec. 22 while the medium and maximum-security inmates were placed onto a modified routine.

Campbell says the higher-security inmates are now allowed to shower and make phone calls, but their movement within the rest of the prison is restricted.