Suspect in attack on US official sent out of Mexico
MEXICO CITY — The U.S. citizen arrested by Mexican authorities in connection with last week’s shooting of a U.S. consular official in Guadalajara has been sent out of Mexico, the federal Attorney General’s Office said late Monday.
Its statement did not reveal where the suspect was sent, saying only that he was repatriated in co-ordination with U.S. authorities and in accordance with Mexican law. It said Mexican authorities would continue their investigation into the incident.
The statement did not give the suspect’s name, but an official with the Attorney General’s Office earlier identified him as Zia Zafar, a U.S. citizen. The official agreed to discuss the situation only if not quoted by name because the details had not been formally released.
The victim of the shooting survived the attack Friday. Neither Mexican nor U.S. officials released the victim’s name, but local media have identified him as Christopher Ashcraft. Ashcraft is listed on social networking sites as a consular officer in Guadalajara since 2016.


