UN official: Optimism in east Aleppo because guns are silent
A senior U.N. humanitarian official working in the Syrian city of Aleppo said Wednesday that combat damage in the former rebel-held eastern districts is enormous but there is a sense of optimism because the guns have fallen silent — at least for now.
Sajjad Malik, humanitarian co-ordinator in the city that was once Syria’s business hub, told U.N. correspondents by audio link that people in Aleppo have put their hopes in the peace process that brought the cease-fire under which rebels gave up the city’s eastern areas last month after weeks of battering by troops loyal to President Bashar Assad.
So many previous cease-fires have failed, he said, “but this time somehow they feel that maybe the international community will stick around and maybe they will be able to reclaim their lives and livelihoods.”
Malik said the U.N. got into eastern Aleppo on New Year’s Day and since then 106 staff members have been going in and out trying to meet the needs of people who survived almost six years of conflict.

