Bodies of 2 Italian divers are recovered from deep in a Maldives underwater cave
MALE, Maldives (AP) — Divers on Tuesday recovered the bodies of two of the four remaining Italians who died deep inside an underwater cave in an atoll in the Maldives last week, a spokesperson for the Indian Ocean nation said, while describing “very challenging” conditions like poor visibility and strong currents.
The bodies were located on Monday as searches resumed after a suspension following the death of a local military diver during a perilous retrieval attempt. The bodies were at a depth of around 60 meters (200 feet), twice as deep as the legal depth for recreational diving in the island nation.
Five Italian divers went missing on Thursday. The body of the Italian diving instructor was recovered earlier outside the cave. The two remaining bodies are expected to be recovered on Wednesday.
The Maldives government has said Finnish divers doing the recovery work spotted the bodies in the cave’s innermost area. Government spokesperson Ahmed Shaam said the four bodies were found “pretty much together.”


